Frequently Asked Questions
What is Pepo?
Pepo connects you with people who share your passions.
Welcome to Pepo, a place where everyone has a story, and the best ones find you.
Every day, thousands of people turn to Pepo to share their stories and connect with experts and enthusiasts. Travelers. Foodies. Fans. Politicos. Designers. Dog Lovers. Gym Fits. LGBT’s. No matter your interests, Pepo connects you with the people and voices that matter most to you.
Get Pepo. Follow Your Passions.
What do people use Pepo for?
Pepo is the fastest easiest way to connect with people who share your passions.
On Pepo you can create and join public, private, or secret live chats with people who share your interests.
Add tags to your profile to highlight your interests and expertise. Pepo matches you with other people who share your interests and related interests. Live chat instantly on with experts, fans, and people in the known.
How much is the Pepo app?
$0.00 - available for free in the Apple App Store and Google Play store.
Where does the name come from?
Pepo is all about connecting people and passions. We wanted a name that was short, fun, and a constant reminder of people connecting with people and passions. People. Passions. Pepo!
What makes Pepo different from other messaging apps?
There are a number of differences. The big ones are:
- Pepo connects you with people and live chats that match your passions. On Pepo it’s easy to create and find live conversations and join right in.
- Pepo connects you with people who are in-the-know. Connect with experts on Pepo.
- On Pepo you can create and join public, private, and secret chats.
- Go on “Spotlight” and feature short videos or photos into conversations for up to 24 hours. After the spotlight ends, it remains in the chat as a special post.
- Beautiful link rendering within chats.
- Chat creators can personalize their chats with cover photos and locations, and turn on “Hosting Mode” to moderate who can post messages vs. who can only reply and react to the Hosts’ messages.
- React to messages with emoticons and text reactions.
- Reply to messages with threaded replies. Replies can contain text, video, photos, and links.
- Follow other users. By following someone you see their public content in your feeds. If the person follows you back, you can also invite them to chats and @mention them.
- @mention another user within a chat by typing the @[user name] of the person. This sends them a notification. You can @mention previous participants in the chat and your friends.
- Notify another user about a message in a chat. This sends them a notification about the message without mentioning them in the chat. You can notify previous participants in the chat and your friends.
What is a verified account?
Pepo is a safe community with 0 tolerance for bullying, abuse, or spam.
On Pepo we encourage everyone to be a real person with real name and real friends.
Pepo offers badges or other marks to indicate that contact information a user has provided matches information maintained by that user in a third-party service (such as Facebook) that the user has connected to Pepo.
Some features of Pepo are restricted to unverified accounts.
What is the difference between Public, Private, and Secret chats?
- Public chats can be found by anyone and anyone can read the chat and become a member. Users can share links to public chats outside of Pepo and anyone with the link can join the chat on Pepo, once they have downloaded the Pepo app.
- Private chats can be found by anyone but only people with invites can read the chat and see who the members are. Members of a private chat can share links to the private chats outside of Pepo and anyone with the link can join the chat on Pepo, once they have downloaded the Pepo app.
- Secret chats are only discoverable by the people who have been invited to the secret chat. Secret chats do not appear in any public feeds nor in search unless the person has been invited to the secret chat. Members of a secret chat can share “exploding links” to the secret chats outside of Pepo. The exploding links expire within 30 minutes of being shared. Anyone with the link can join the chat on Pepo, once they have downloaded the Pepo app, until the 30 minutes have expired.
How does privacy work?
We have adopted a follower model that means if someone follows you and you follow them back, then:
- They can invite you to public chats, and add you to private and secret chats.
- They can @mention you in chats.
- They can notify you about messages in chats.
- They will see the public chats you create and participate in in their “Friends Feed”
- They will see the private chats you create and participate in in their “Friends Feed” however if you were not the creator of the private chat they will not know that you are participating until they have also been invited or approved to join.
If someone follows you and you do not follow them back.
- They cannot invite you to public chats, and add you to private and secret chats.
- They will see the public chats you create and and are a member of in in their “Friends Feed”
- They will see the private chats you create and and are a member of in in their “Friends Feed” but if you were not the creator of the private chat they will not know that you are a member until they have also been invited or approved to join.
Can I block someone?
Yes. From any user’s profile you can block that person. Once blocked, that person will no longer be able to follow you or see your chats. You will also no longer see chats created by that person.
Can I hide the link to Facebook on my profile?
Yes. You can edit the visibility of the link to Facebook from your profile to either: everyone, following, or no-one.
What is Pepo’s policy on objectionable content?
How do users report objectionable content and what actions does Pepo take when there are such reports?
How can I report another user, and what does that do?
Users can also report other users by clicking on the “Report” option from a user’s profile. Upon receiving a report, Pepo’s systems automatically review the user’s account and an automated action may be taken regarding the user. A manual check of the user also may be conducted. A determination regarding the user is made typically within 24 hours.
You can also report a user by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and providing the user name and reason for reporting.
What does it mean that an account was banned?
Banned users are unable to login to the Pepo app using the same phone number.
If you wish to appeal a banned account, email us at email@example.com
How do I adjust my push notifications or stop getting push notifications from Pepo?
We are constantly optimizing our notifications system to ensure that you get the notifications you want and not the ones you don’t want or need.
You can change your push notifications for any chat by clicking on the cover image from the chat and then selecting “Notifications” from the chat settings page.
You can also adjust your notifications for all of Pepo by clicking on the settings option from your Pepo profile.
On iPhone you can also adjust the settings for the app from IOS > General > Settings.
You can also temporarily stop receiving notifications from Pepo by logging out of the app from your Pepo profile page.
What does it mean to delete a chat or message?
The “Delete” feature enables you to remove a chat you have created (including all messages in that chat) or individual messages you have sent within a chat. Using this feature will cause the chat or message to no longer be visible by other users. However, a user’s copy of the Pepo app may have a temporary local cache of the chat or message that will remain available to the user until the app has a chance to connect to our servers via an Internet connection. Also, Pepo may retain a copy of the chat or message you mark for deletion on its servers for up to 365 days, except that we may keep it longer if required by law.
How do I deactivate my Pepo account?
You can deactivate your account by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once deactivated, your public profile will no longer appear on Pepo, you will no longer be friends/followers with other users, and any secret chats you created will be hidden. Any messages you have sent in public or private chats, and any public or private chats you have created, will continue to be visible to other users after you deactivate your account, unless you delete those messages or chats before deactivating your account.
How else can I get in touch with Pepo?